Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Being Part of a College Admissions Council

It seems as though anything is possible in China for me to do or just end up in a situation I would never expect. All of these events can be explained in one phrase, "Let's do it, its China"

One day, my manager said that I will be going to a college for a day helping them with something. Truns out, I was a part of the admissions committee interviewing kids to let them into the college or not. They wanted to test the student's English ability before admitting them into college.
I can assure you I was the youngest person sitting at that table and the closest person in age to mine must have been at least 10 years older.

The kids were all very scared. We were sitting at this very long table and on the other side, the kids were standing and shyly answering questions from the examiners. One guy I thought was going to cry by the end of his interview.
The behavior of the kids were very different than that found in American interviews of any kind. Instead of portraying ability and independence, the kids were humble, very reserved and just said a few words for each question asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment