Saturday, May 28, 2011

Censorship In China

Yes, the Chinese government monitors many things, probably more than I am aware of. One of those things is the internet. When I search in Google, many webistes I would be able to enter do not show up in my search menu. The websites so far that I found to be blocked are:

Youtube
Facebook
Blogs of all types (including this one)
Any articles unfavorable about China, like Tienanmen Protest of 1989
Chairman Mao information besides that he did great things

In stores and everywhere are people wearing red armbands. These are the remains of the Red Guard which are volunteers that enforce order. They were created in the reign of Mao where they would make sure to combat revolutionist activities. This way, may people were persecuted and killed. Now, they serve more of a purpose to enforce peace in public such so no one steals and so on.

There are also many soldiers everywhere. They are at the gates of many public buildings and parks.
The government also does not look favorably on on government organizarions. When I was going to a picnic in the Olympic Park from the group that brought me here AIESEC, I was told that if the police ask, we are not from an organization but friends. Gatherings of groups that are non government related is not supported.

Also I need to carry my passport anywhere I go. I have never been asked though by anyone to show it thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment